Where to find support

We help hosts and guests with most general queries and can point you to other support if needed.

If you have a query about:

  • becoming a host

  • host payments

  • safeguarding checks

  • finding a training courses or a school place for your children

  • moving on from your host, or

  • anything else

you can contact us by email: Ukraine@eastsussex.gov.uk or phone: 01273 337010.

Local authorities in East Sussex are divided into three tiers:

1. East Sussex County Council (us)

We provide services such as:

  • education
  • highways and transport
  • adult social care
  • children's services
  • libraries
  • economic development

2. Borough and district councils

Eastbourne Borough Council

Hastings Borough Council

Lewes District Council

Rother District Council

Wealden District Council

They provide services such as:

  • housing
  • waste collection
  • parks and leisure
  • council tax
  • planning applications.

3. Parish and town councils

There are over 90 across East Sussex. See parish and town councils contact details.

They provide services such as:

  • looking after community buildings
  • open space
  • allotments
  • play areas
  • street lighting
  • bus shelters
  • and some car parks.

Ukrainian arrivals are entitled to full NHS care. You can register for a GP (general practitioner) without proof of address, immigration status or an NHS number. You may be asked to provide ID but it’s not a requirement.

You can find out how to access different healthcare services on the government's website:

More information about services available locally can be found on the East Sussex NHS Trust website.

Bus Travel

When you arrive in East Sussex as a guest, you will get 4 weeks’ travel on many local buses.

To get a free travel pass for Brighton & Hove Buses, take your passport and visa to one of their offices:

Get more information about planning your journey by bus, including fares and service changes.

Train Travel

East Sussex has many train routes. There are regular services to Brighton, London, Gatwick Airport, key towns in East Sussex and along the coast.

Train routes

Major services are run by:

Plan a train journey

Visit National Rail to help you plan your train journey, including fares and service changes.

Traveline will help you to plan a journey using rail, bus and coach.

Reduced fares

See train discounts and railcards for how to get reduced fares.

Driving in the UK

If you have a Ukrainian driving licence, you can drive in the UK.

More information about driving in the UK and documentation is on the Government’s website:

You may also bring a Ukrainian vehicle into the UK, but there are rules about registering and taxing it in the UK. The government has guidance for this on their website:

In an emergency, call 999

This is the emergency number for the police, fire service and ambulance service.


An emergency is:

  • a serious incident has happened or is happening
  • someone is at risk of immediate danger or harm
  • property is in danger of being damaged or
  • something has happened which will cause disruption to others, for example a car accident.

Ambulance service

Phone 999 if you or someone you live with has a serious illness or injury, such as:

  • heart attack
  • severe pain
  • stroke
  • severe bleeding

Fire and rescue service

East Sussex Fire & Rescue Service are available every day of the year to respond to fires and other emergencies. They also work to prevent emergencies from happening in the first place, and protect people and property.



Non-emergencies include anti-social behaviour, fraud and sexual assault. You can contact the police in a number of ways to report these:

  • visit Sussex Police
  • phone 101
  • send them a private message on social media
  • visit your local police station

Keeping safe

Safety of children and teenagers

If you are worried about a child or teenager who might be at risk of harm, see our Single Point of Advice (SPoA) page for what to do:

Safety of adults

If you have a concern about an adult at risk of abuse, neglect or exploitation, see our Adult Social Care Connect page for what to do:

The guidance on Raising Concerns about Abuse and Neglect explains signs of abuse and neglect, and what should be reported as a safeguarding concern.

Exploitation and modern slavery

People seeking refuge from the war in Ukraine must be able to move without the risk of exploitation. If you need support, the campaign ‘Travel Safe, Stay Safe’ has information in Ukrainian, Russian and English.

The Gangmasters and Labour Abuse Authority also has useful resources:

Reporting war crimes

The police support the investigation by the International Criminal Court (ICC) into possible war crimes committed in Ukraine since 21 November 2013.

They want to speak to anyone who may have seen or been a victim of any war crimes or crimes against humanity. They also want to hear from anyone who has evidence of war crimes committed in Ukraine, such as video or images. 

To report war crimes:

Any evidence gathered by the police may be shared with the ICC in support of their investigation. However, we’ll treat all the information you provide in total confidence.

We’re lucky to have a rich network of voluntary and community groups across East Sussex. Many are already providing support for Ukrainian refugees.

Each Voluntary Action organisation can assist guests and hosts by linking you to local support.

The VAs also work alongside the local groups, organisations and councils to ensure guest and hosts are heard. Your concerns help to shape the support available. You can contact them:

There are also many local groups where Ukrainians meet and support each other. These include:

  1. East Sussex branch of the Association of Ukraine in Great Britain (being formed) - Facebook group
  2. East Sussex High Weald Ukraine support network - Facebook group
  3. East Sussex for Ukraine - Facebook group
  4. East Sussex Group for Homes for Ukraine - Facebook group
  5. Sussex Ukrainian support  - Facebook group
  6. Lewes helps Ukraine - Facebook group
  7. Hastings supports refugees - Facebook group
  8. Seaford for Ukraine - Facebook group
  9. The Refugee Buddy Project - X (Formerly Twitter)
  10. Hastings Community of Sanctuary - X (Formerly Twitter)

Hubs and drop-in centres

There are volunteer organisations and help centres you can visit, wherever you are in the county.

Eastbourne, Wealden and Lewes area

  • Eastbourne
  • Hellingly
  • Crowborough
  • Hailsham
  • Uckfield
  • Rotherfield
  • Mayfield & Five Ashes

You can find a list of hubs on the 3VA website.

Hastings area

Ukrainian Sanctuary Café

  • For social meeting, lunch, support for hosts and guests, advice and crafts.

See Hastings Voluntary Action for an extensive list of community hubs.

Rother area

The Rother Voluntary Action website tells you about hubs and who to contact in your area.

There are no permanent hubs in:

But you can see upcoming meetings on the RVA website.

There is a free public library in all larger towns. See our full list with opening times:

It is free to become a member. You can then:

  • borrow books, films, music or other items
  • take a course to improve English, maths or computer skills
  • use the computers
  • access information, guidance and support.

The online library lets you read books, newspapers, magazines and other material online.

There are also free to borrow eBooks in Ukrainian:

Find more about the library service:


Churches in East Sussex include:

Roman Catholic

For a map and list of Catholic churches in East Sussex see Parish Finder | Our Diocese

Anglican (Church of England - Protestant)

The established Christian church in England. Almost every community has a church. East Sussex is part of the Diocese of Chichester


Mosques in East Sussex include:


There are synagogues in Brighton and Hove: