Finding a job and paying tax

Finding work

We know that many Ukrainians will want to work. You have the right to work as soon as you arrive in the UK. You need to be 18 to work full time.

There are many ways to look for a job.

In East Sussex, the ESTAR service helps refugees into work and training. 

All public organisations in East Sussex advertise job vacancies:

At the Jobcentre Plus office you can ask for a work coach to help you find and apply for local jobs.

You can also search and apply for work through the government's Find a Job site.

And many commercial sites list jobs which can be searched by area, including:

Employers must check a person is eligible to work in the UK before employing them. Arrivals can use their Biometric Residence Permit as evidence of the right to work.

Advice about employment rights, including the minimum wage, is available from Citizens Advice.

For more information on education and training, you can now visit East Sussex College Ukraine Support.

Support into Work programme

This helps Ukrainian guests in East Sussex get into employment.

The project will include:

  • An assessment to understand your employability needs.

  • One-to-one and group training in benefit calculations, working in the UK, job search support, mock interviews and more.

  • Signposting to other relevant support.

  • Funding some childcare for parents to access this support.

  • Funding clothing for job interviews where needed.

  • Working with the local housing authorities to help house those on the project.  

There are contact details and a referral form on the Careers East Sussex website.

Apply for a National Insurance number

You must have a National Insurance number to make sure your National Insurance contributions and tax are recorded properly.

You can apply and find more information on the government website:

Paying tax

Earnings from your job are taxed at different rates. This depends on the amount earned and the type of employment.

An employer will often deduct your income tax from your monthly salary using the PAYE system. Self-employed workers must calculate and pay their own tax.

To check what form of tax is right for you see GOV.UK: