1. Home
  2. Community
  3. Housing
  4. Finding a home
  5. Social housing, right to buy and exchanges

Social housing, right to buy and exchanges

Local district and borough councils allocate council housing. There are long waiting lists and it is allocated to those who are most in need.

The local council's will:

  • provide a housing application form
  • assess if you are eligible for social housing
  • prioritise those in need
  • tell you what priority you have for housing

If you are eligible for social housing and accepted onto the housing register, you will be referred to a letting scheme which each district and borough council uses to advertise vacancies for social and affordable housing.

Housing associations are the main providers of not-for-profit housing in England. They are also known as registered social landlords.

Because they do not make a profit, any money they make goes towards improving existing homes or building new ones. Renting accommodation through a housing association is often cheaper than renting privately.

Find out how to rent a housing association home, the types of property available and how housing is allocated:

Housing associations in East Sussex

Housing associations and trusts in East Sussex - Yell

You may be able to swap your home with another tenant. Whether you are allowed to do this will depend on your local district or borough council, or housing association.

Right to Buy - council properties

Right to Buy allows secure council tenants to buy their home at a reduced price or market value, depending how long they have been a tenant.

For more information about the ‘Right to Buy’ scheme, contact the District or Borough council for your area or visit their website:

Right to Acquire - housing associations

You might be able to buy your rented housing association home at a discount through the 'Right to Acquire scheme'.