Who deals with emergencies
The response to a major incident is co-ordinated by emergency and health services. Local authorities support the community and help return to normal.
We are part of the Sussex Resilience Forum. We work with local partners to plan our joint response to emergencies. This includes maintaining the Community Risk Register.
The Council has a duty to:
- identify priorities to develop plans
- arrange training and emergency exercises
- develop ways to warn and inform the public
- plan how to continue providing critical services
If required, council teams will:
- provide support to local residents
- support and co-ordinate the voluntary sector response
- co-ordinate recovery once the initial emergency is over
- arrange transport, temporary shelter and food, if required
- keep council services running as normally as possible
For more details, see the district and borough council websites: