Teenagers leaving home – advice for parents
If you have parental responsibility, until your child is 18 you’re responsible for:
- providing a home for your child
- protecting and maintaining your child
Advice for families
Problems can often be solved by taking new approaches. Get advice early.
You’ll find advice, tools and techniques here:
- Talk to your GP or your teenager’s school or college.
- Call the Single Point of Advice for support for family breakdown and behavioural issues.
- Contact mediation services:
Things to consider
Could your teenager live with another family member?
Could you tackle your teenager’s behaviour rather than losing them altogether?
Teenagers need boundaries and support to become a successful adult. Those who need help have the best chance of making a change with a stable home.
When to call Children’s Services
If your teenager has left, or is the process of leaving home, they may be at risk.