1. Home
  2. Trading standards
  3. Consumer support
  4. Report an incident or issue to Trading Standards

Report an incident or issue to Trading Standards

East Sussex Trading Standards relies on information received from residents, businesses and partner agencies. This is to identify illegal trading activity and victims of crime. We need to know who is engaging in such activity and also who is being targeted.

What should I report?

  • Rogue traders misleading customers into paying for overpriced and poor quality work
  • Goods and services offered through cold-calling
  • The sale of illegal tobacco or alcohol (for example counterfeit/ smuggled/ non-duty paid)
  • The sale of unsafe goods (for example unsafe electrical items, children’s toys or cosmetics)
  • The sale of counterfeit/ fake goods
  • The sale of illegally imported pets
  • Animal Welfare complaints relating to farm animals
  • Inaccurate food descriptions (for example ‘local’, ‘home-made’, ‘organic’, ‘free-range’ when it is not)
  • Food fraud (for example cheap white fish being sold as cod)
  • Misleading environmental claims relating to goods and services
  • Underage sales (sales of alcohol, tobacco, knives, solvents and fireworks to children)
  • Scam mail or phone calls targeting residents (for example claiming prize draw or lottery ‘wins’)

Advice about goods or services you have bought

Please contact the fully trained advisers at the Citizens Advice Consumer Service on 0808 223 1133, or by using their online form. They will also pass the details you provide to Trading Standards for information.

Reporting illegal money lending

Please call the National Illegal Money Lending team on 0300 555 2222 or use their online reporting form.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.