Becoming a UK citizen
Changing nationality is a major turning point in someone’s life. To acknowledge this, people who are granted UK citizenship are required to attend a formal citizenship ceremony.
In order to obtain your citizenship, there is a legal requirement for you to make your oath of allegiance at a citizenship ceremony.
Applications for UK citizenship are handled by the Home Office (gov.uk). The final part of the process is the citizenship ceremony.
Group citizenship ceremonies are held regularly at each of our register offices across East Sussex.
What type of Citizenship Ceremony?
Private Citizenship Ceremonies
A Private Citizenship Ceremony is the perfect way to complete your journey to becoming a British Citizen. We can tailor these ceremonies to suit you.
Have your ceremony where and when you want
- have your Citizenship Ceremony as soon as possible, once you have been notified of your successful application
- at one of our Register Offices or at a location of your choice in East Sussex*
Include the whole family
- just let us know how many guests you want to bring and we will match a ceremony room to your needs
- children are welcome, whether to take part as new citizens or just to watch
Privacy and fuss free
A Private Ceremony could also be perfect for you if you would just prefer your ceremony to be conducted in quietly without the distractions of other people.
Call 0345 60 80 198 for details.
*Private Citizenship Ceremonies cannot be conducted in private homes or religious premises.
Group Citizenship Ceremonies
Group Citizenship Ceremonies are held regularly at each of our East Sussex register offices.
- attendance at Citizenship Ceremonies is by Home Office invitation only
- children under 12 are not permitted at Group Citizenship Ceremonies
- successful applicants can invite 2 guests each
- attending a Group Citizenship Ceremony is free of charge
Booking your citizenship ceremony
You must attend a citizenship ceremony within 11 weeks of receiving your ceremony invitation letter/email from the Home Office. Guidance on how to book your ceremony will be included with this letter/email.
Please do not contact the register office until you have received your citizenship invitation. Call 0345 60 80 198 to book your ceremony with us.
Full details about the process of applying for UK citizenship are available on the website of the: Home Office (gov.uk).
To arrange your citizenship ceremony you will need to share some personal information with us.
Please refer to our: privacy notice for details about how and why we use your data.