Privacy notice - Step Into Reading
This Privacy notice covers Step Into Reading. This is a free 1 to 1 adult reading programme funded by libraries through Covid recovery funding.
East Sussex County Council takes data protection seriously. Please be assured that your information will be used appropriately in line with data protection legislation, will be stored securely and will not be processed unless the requirements for fair and lawful processing can be met.
What information is being used?
- telephone number
- any special educational needs advised by the service user
Any personally identifiable information relating to a living individual e.g. name, identification number, location data etc.
Personal data (special category)
Personal data that reveals racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religious or philosophical beliefs, trade union membership, genetic data, biometric data (for the purpose of uniquely identifying a natural person), data concerning health or data concerning a person’s sex life or sexual orientation.
How will your information be used?
The information collected will be used solely to support delivery of the Step Into Reading service. To this end it will be shared between the library staff administering the project and with the library volunteer tasked with providing 1 to 1 support to the participant. It will not be shared with any third parties
We aim to maintain high standards, adopt best practice for our record keeping and regularly check and report on how we are doing. Your information is never sold for direct marketing purposes.
Our staff are trained to handle your information correctly and protect your confidentiality and privacy.
Your information is not processed outside of the European Economic Area.
What is the legal basis for processing your information?
Article 6(1)(a) GDPR. We will explicitly seek your consent to process your personal data.
Article 9(2)(a) We will explicitly seek your consent to process any special category data provided on an optional basis.
How long your information will be kept for?
Data will be retained for a 12-month period and deleted when data subject exits the programme. if data subject is with project beyond 12-month period request to extension will be sought.
Sharing your information
Any sharing of personal data is always made:
- on case-by-case basis
- using the minimum personal data necessary
- with the appropriate security controls in place
- in line with legislation
Information is only shared with those agencies and bodies who have a "need to know" or where you have consented to the sharing of your personal data to such persons.
We may use the information we hold about you to assist in the detection and prevention of crime or fraud. We may also share this information with other bodies that inspect and manage public funds.
Under data protection legislation, you have the right:
- to be informed why, where and how we use your information
- to ask for access to your information
- to ask for your information to be corrected if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- to ask for your information to be deleted or removed where there is no need for us to continue processing it
- to ask us to restrict the use of your information
- to ask us to copy or transfer your information from one IT system to another in a safe and secure way, without impacting the quality of the information
- to object to how your information is used
- to challenge any decisions made without human intervention (automated decision making)
Please visit data subject rights for further details.