East Sussex Children's Book Award
This annual book award is presented by our Schools Library and Museum Service.
Children whose schools have sign up to take part in the award have the chance to vote for their favourite fiction book from a shortlist.
This year’s shortlisted books were carefully chosen with the help of children from St Mary Star of the Sea Primary School, Framfield Primary School, Breakwater Academy and Hollington Primary Academy.
Read about the books and your reviews below.
Book award 2017
- ‘The Dog Ray’ by Linda Coggin
- ‘The Many Worlds of Albie Bright’ by Christopher Edge
- ‘The Wilderness War’ by Julia Green
- ‘Black Powder’ by Ally Sherrick
- ‘The Secret Life of Daisy Fitzjohn’ by Tania Unsworth
Book award 2016
- ‘Car-Jacked’ by Ali Sparkes – winner
- ‘Boy in the Tower’ by Polly Ho-Yen
- ‘Shadow Cat’ by Gillian Cross
- ‘The Imagination Box’ by Martyn Ford
- ‘Hercufleas’ by Sam Gayton
December to January
Shortlisted books sets, information packs and bookmarks delivered to participating schools.
January to May
Pupils in years 5 and 6 read the 5 books on the 2017 shortlist. Schools are encouraged to organise book group meetings to discuss the books.
Pupils can send in their book reviews (online or by post), and participate in the competitions.
Closing date for design a book jacket and creative writing competitions.
Closing date for voting.
Closing date for book reviews.
Celebration event at a prestigious venue in East Sussex where the winner of the East Sussex Children’s Book Award 2017 will be announced. All participating schools are invited.