Contact us using British Sign Language (BSL)
- British Sign Language (BSL) users can now contact us using SignLive - YouTube
If you have difficulty hearing or speaking and you are a British Sign Language user, you can contact us using the SignLive BSL interpreting service.
Free video calls in British Sign Language (BSL)
SignLive lets you connect - via video call - with an interpreter, who will then call us and relay the conversation between BSL and English.
It is free to call East Sussex County Council using SignLive, you just need wifi or mobile data to make the video call.
SignLive can be accessed via:
- a desktop computer or laptop with a webcam, microphone and speakers, or
- via an app on your smartphone or tablet.
The first time you use SignLive you will need to complete a quick registration. This will keep your account secure and allow the team to call you back if needed.
How to use SignLive
- Get the SignLive app for your mobile or use it in your browser.
- Sign in or register for the first time - a confirmation email will be sent to your email address to confirm your account
- Find us in the SignLive Community Directory
- Press the call button.
- An interpreter will appear on your screen who will relay the call through to a member of our team.
- Tell the interpreter what you want and they will translate between you and our contact centre, signing their responses back to you.
How to find us in the SignLive Community Directory
- For Adult Social Care - choose our Health and Social Care Connect number to report abuse or neglect, apply for care and support or get support for a carer. The line is open between 8am to 8pm, seven days a week.
- Please note that we will try to answer your call as soon as possible, however there may be a wait time.
- If you don't want to wait, you can email us to request a SignLive call back. Make sure tell us whether you'd like a call back today or tomorrow, whether it is urgent or non-urgent and remember to include your SignLive number. We will do our best to call you back when you have chosen.
- For any other department - choose our Switchboard number to contact all departments between 8am to 5pm Monday to Thursday and 8am to 4.30pm on Fridays.
Using video interpreting in our buildings
If you visit us at one of our buildings, then you will be able use SignLive to communicate with our staff.
SignLive can be accessed at reception points by scanning the QR code on your smart device. Once logged in, choose ‘call an interpreter now’ which will connect you to a BSL Interpreter for in-person communication.
Help with SignLive
- SignLive frequently asked questions
- For any problems using SignLive, either call SignLive customer services from the app or email email@example.com.