1. Home
  2. Community
  3. Local information
  4. Street parties and fetes

Street parties and fetes

Street parties and fetes are a long-held British tradition that we want to encourage and make easier to hold.

Organising a small street party or fete is often quite simple and you do not always need a licence or insurance, as long as your event is organised by and for residents and neighbours only.

How to arrange a road closure?

Please contact your local district or borough council – they can arrange a temporary road closure and advise what else you need to do:

Planning your street party

You can find lots of information and tips about how to get started with planning a street party from these websites:

Decorating the street

If you are planning to attach bunting and other decorations to street lights, please make sure:

  • they are high enough not to cause an obstruction
  • you do not drill any holes or use nails or glue
  • your decorations do not cross or overhang the road

You will need a licence from East Sussex Highways for banners, decorative lighting or bunting that hang over the highway. You may also apply to borrow traffic cones, signs or barriers for an event.

If in doubt, do not hesitate to get in touch with the Highways contact centre.