1. Home
  2. Business in East Sussex
  3. Business support in East Sussex
  4. Processing DBS checks for businesses

Processing DBS checks for businesses

Only organisations that are registered with the Disclosure and Barring Service (DBS) can apply directly for disclosures for prospective employees. East Sussex County Council is registered as an ‘umbrella body’, which means we can process DBS checks on your behalf.

Our service

We will:

  • provide access to the Disclosure and Barring Service Application system in order for you to process your application requirements
  • check and validate the information the applicant gives on the Disclosure and Barring Service disclosure application form
  • countersign application forms to confirm that you are entitled to access criminal record information
  • provide you with regular updates on changes to the Disclosure and Barring Service process.

How to apply

Businesses that want to use this service must comply with the DBS Code of Practice and our own terms and conditions. Read these in full in our guide to ESCC Umbrella Services. [164.2 KB] [docx]

Please note: we know this file might not be suitable for users of assistive technology. If you use assistive technology such as a screen reader, please contact us, and we will do our best to help.

You should send us a written request, as well as:

  • a copy of your management structure
  • a copy of your policies on the use and storage of DBS disclosures, and the recruitment of ex offenders (templates in the guidance pack above)
  • a signed declaration form (also in the guidance pack)
  • Payment of £50 registration fee on receipt of invoice

For more information or advice, please contact us at Disclosure and Barring Service.

Self-employed workers

You can’t legally apply for your own DBS check if you are self-employed, as you can’t assess your own suitability for a job. There are two options that may be available to you:

  • register with an employment agency that can apply for a check to assess your suitability to work for them
  • make a ‘subject access’ request to your local police force under the Data Protection Act 1998 to give details of any criminal records

For more information, please contact the Disclosure and Barring Service - GOV.UK.