History of East Sussex County Council

Latest

We have set out our proposals for delivering services in East Sussex in the current financial climate. See A core offer for East Sussex.

4. Meetings and buildings

The first meeting of the Council was held in Eastbourne on 7 February 1889, and the original 51 members voted Lord Monk Bretton our first Chairman. After that meetings were held in Lewes, initially in the original County Hall building in the High Street (now Lewes Combined Court) and later in Lewes Town Hall. Between November 1938 and October 2003 council meetings were held in a purpose-built chamber in Pelham House, Lewes.

The new County Hall in St Anne’s Crescent was officially opened by the Duchess of Kent on 31 October 1968. Following the sale of Pelham House in 2003 meetings are now held in the council chamber at County Hall.

Print entire guide