How we look at your finances

When you first contact us, we will assess your needs to find out whether you qualify for our support.

If you qualify, we will also ask about your finances to work out how much you have to pay towards the cost. We apply the same rules to everyone to make sure our resources are allocated fairly.

Most people have to pay a contribution towards the cost of their support. The amount you pay is based on what you can afford.

Check if you qualify

Financial assessment

We will ask about your savings, property and income in a financial assessment.

The assessment can take place by telephone, a visit to you or your representative, or you may complete a form. We will decide the best way depending on your circumstances.

We can offer advice about or help you to apply for any state benefits you might be entitled to.

To complete the financial assessment, we will request supporting documents.

Your savings and property

We begin by looking at your savings and property.

  • If you have more than £23,250 in savings or investments you will have to pay the full cost of your care.
  • We will not count the value of your home while you are living in it. But if you own land or a property that you do not live in, we will count the value of this as savings.

Your income

After looking at your savings, if you do not have to pay the full cost of your care, we go on to look at your income. We take into account most types of income including:

  • pensions and benefits
  • rent from properties and land
  • an assumed income from capital worth more than £14,250

If you get a war pension, we may only take part of it into account.

If you have to pay the full cost of your support

Even if you don’t qualify for financial support, there is help that we can give everyone regardless of their level of need or financial circumstances. For example we can give you information and advice on sources of support.

If your savings are likely to fall below £23,250 because you have been paying for care, make sure you tell us in good time as we may be able to help you with the cost.

If you don’t want to tell us about your finances

If you would rather not tell us about your financial circumstances, you can say so on the form by signing the ‘non-disclosure’ section. But if you decide to do this, we will charge you for the full cost of your support.

Residential care costs and your home

We do not count the value of your home if you are going into residential care temporarily and will return to your home after an agreed time.

If you are going into residential care permanently we will look at how much your property is worth when we assess how much you can afford to pay.

For more information, see:

Charges for support

For information on paying for different types of care, see:

Help and enquiries

Find the help you need

A directory of services, groups and organisations