Bus passes – renewals, change of details and replacements


Is your concessionary bus pass due to expire in March 2019?

  • If you have changed name or address please call 0300 33 09 471 or email Transport Hub Change. Proof of address will be needed.

  • If you have an Older Person’s bus pass (blue stripe), which has been used in the 12 months before renewal, it will be automatically sent in March. Contact us if you aren’t using the pass but would like a renewal.

  • Disabled Person’s bus pass (orange stripe) we will have written to you.

Changes notified after 28 February 2019 could mean a £10 replacement charge.

This page tells you about:

  • how we renew concessionary bus passes
  • changing your name or address
  • what to do if your pass is damaged, lost or stolen
  • informing us if a bus pass holder has died.

If you don’t have a printer, you can get all the forms below from your local library.

Renewing your bus pass

Renewing an older persons bus pass

Passes are valid for up to five years. If you have used your pass in the 12 months before renewal we will send you a new one automatically, this will arrive a few weeks before your current pass expires.

If your pass has not been used in the 12 months before renewal it will not be automatically renewed.

If your existing pass is due to expire in less than a week and your new one has not arrived, please contact us.

Renewing a disabled persons bus pass

These are issued for anything from 1 year to 5 years depending on your disability.

  • If your disability is temporary, when it expires, you will need to reapply or show further proof before we can renew it.
  • If your disability has been assessed by us as permanent you will normally automatically receive a new pass in the post, unless we contact you before expiry.

If your existing pass is due to expire in less than a week and you have not heard from us, please contact us.

Change of address

I have an East Sussex County Council bus pass

If you have an East Sussex County Council bus pass and move to another address in East Sussex (not including Brighton), you can send us your new address by printing and posting this form. You also need to provide proof of your new address by sending us a photocopy of:

  • a letter from Department of Work and Pensions (no more than 3 months old)
  • a recent bank or credit card statement (no more than 3 months old)
  • your current council tax bill
  • a recent utility bill (no more than 3 months old).

Form: Bus pass change of details

We will update our records with this.

If you don’t tell us you have moved, we may send your next pass to your old address and you will have to pay a fee of £10 for a replacement.

I have moved into East Sussex (not including Brighton)

If you are not currently an East Sussex County Council bus pass holder then you need to apply see our application pages:

Applying for an older person’s bus pass

Applying for a disabled person’s bus pass

I have moved out of East Sussex

If you move out of East Sussex, you should cut your pass up and return it to the address on the back of the bus pass. You’ll need to apply to your new local authority for a bus pass.

Change of name

If you hold an East Sussex County Council bus pass (not including Brighton & Hove) and your name has changed, you can tell us by printing and posting this form. There is a fee of £10 for a change of name, unless we are correcting an error or spelling mistake.

If you have changed your name, you also need to enclose:

  • a copy of the document supporting your name change, for example a marriage certificate or Deed Poll
  • a cheque for £10 (see form for details).

Lost, stolen or damaged passes

If your bus pass is lost, stolen or damaged you can either:

  1. Call our bus pass information line on 0300 33 09 471 (local rate – Lines are open Monday to Friday 9 am to 4 pm) and pay over the phone. They can also advise alternate payment methods at local banks.
  2. Or you can also pay by post, please make a cheque payable to “East Sussex ENCTS” sent to the below address with a note confirming you need a replacement and your details:

    East Sussex Bus Pass
    PO Box 212
    PO7 6ZN

A charge of £10 will be made for issuing a replacement bus pass. Replacement charges for stolen passes will be waived if you have a crime number.

When a bus pass holder has died

To tell us about the death of a bus pass holder, please print and post this form:

Form: Tell us when a bus pass holder has died

Please enclose:

  • a photocopy of the death certificate (if available)
  • if you have it, the bus pass (cut in two).

Contact us

If you have a question, please speak to our information centre: