Parking tickets (Penalty Charge Notices)
If you receive a parking ticket, you can:
- pay the parking ticket
- challenge the parking ticket, if you feel that it has been issued incorrectly.
If you pay the parking ticket, the case will be closed and any challenge against the ticket will not be considered.
How much is a penalty charge for a parking ticket?
Charges for parking tickets depend on the seriousness of the contravention:
- Lower penalty charge - £50 (reduced to £25 if paid within 14 days)
- Higher penalty charge - £70 (reduced to £35 if paid within 14 days).
For a list of all the contravention codes and their descriptions, see: Lower and higher charges for parking tickets.
How to pay
Pay or challenge a parking ticket issued in East Sussex:
Please allow 24 hours after receiving your PCN before paying online.
Please allow 24 hours after receiving your ticket before paying by phone.
Payment line: 0345 658 5500
24 hours a day, 7 days a week with your card details and PCN number (shown on the parking ticket).
This number is only for payments. To speak to someone about a parking ticket contact the Parking team.
- pay by credit/debit card using the tear-off slip at the bottom of the parking ticket
- pay by cheque or postal order payable to East Sussex County Council. Write the PCN number (from the front of the parking ticket) on the back. Complete the slip on the parking ticket and attach to your cheque.
Send postal payments for tickets issued in Lewes, Eastbourne and Hastings to:
East Sussex County Council
The Parking Shop
PO Box 80
Lewes BN7 2WU
Challenging a parking ticket
For information on challenging a parking ticket you feel has been issued incorrectly, see Challenging a parking ticket.
What happens if a parking ticket is neither paid or challenged?
If a parking ticket remains unpaid without being challenged, we will seek a Court Order and add the cost of the Court Order to the amount you will have to pay.
If you still do not pay the parking ticket, bailiffs will enforce the Court Order and you will have to pay their costs as well.
If you have lost your ticket but still need to pay, please contact a Parking Shop or Parking Information Centre.