Vehicles causing an obstruction


Covid-19. There are some temporary changes to parking and permits during the coronavirus (Covid 19) outbreak. See Temporary changes to parking for more information.

You can now apply for disabled parking bays and access protection markings online. For more details see Apply for an access protection marking and Apply for disabled parking bay.

Vehicles blocking pedestrian access or driveways

Penalty Charge Notices can be issued to vehicles that are parked across a dropped kerb, preventing access for pedestrians or to a driveway.

Residents (except in Wealden District) can report vehicles to our parking contractor, NSL who will send out a Civil Enforcement Officer (CEO). Contact us about parking enforcement.

Wealden residents should contact Sussex Police or phone 101.

Access protection markings (APM)

Residents can apply for a white line, known as an Access Protection Marking (APM), to be painted in front of their drive. These are advisory lines only and not legally enforceable, but they can help deter inconsiderate parking. An APM is not required for CEOs to enforce a dropped kerb.

Apply online for an APM.

If you would prefer a hard copy of an application form, please contact Parking Services.

Vehicle obstructions on the highway

Sussex Police may remove vehicles that are causing an obstruction or danger to the highway. To report a vehicle that is causing an obstruction please contact Sussex Police or phone 101.

The police can only take action if the vehicle is parked in a way that prevents another vehicle or a pedestrian from being able to pass.