Online library help
6. Ebooks and eaudiobooks help
Downloading ebooks and e-audiobooks
Library members can download books from our Ebooks and audiobooks websites. When you download a title, it is ‘on loan’ to you like an ordinary book. You can also use them through an app on your smartphone or mobile device.
- Ebooks and e-audiobooks from Overdrive – login with your library card number and PIN
- E-audiobooks from OneClick – create your own account using your library card number
- Emagazines from Zinio – create your own account using your library card number
When you find a title you want:
- if it is available immediately, use the ‘Download’ or ‘Checkout’ button and confirm you want the title.
- if it is not available yet, use ‘Place a hold’ to reserve the title.
Ebooks and eaudiobooks stop working after three weeks, so you’ll need to renew or download them again. Emagazines will stay on your account until you delete them.
Finding ebooks and e-audiobooks on our online library
All our electronic resources are listed on our online library as ‘eBooks’. You can search for them two ways.
- Online library catalogue
Use keyword, author or title to search across the whole online library, then look for titles marked ‘eBooks’.
- Online library catalogue – advanced search
Under advanced search, in the box marked ‘Collection’ choose ‘eBooks’ to limit your search to ebooks and eaudiobooks only.
The titles in your search results contain a column marked ‘Status’ - use the link in this column to go straight to your chosen title on the Ebooks and eaudiobooks websites.
You can place reservations (holds) for ebooks and eaudiobooks on the relevant website.
- Ebooks are electronic versions of printed books in Adobe PDF or Adobe EPUB format. You can read them on your computer, most ebook readers (but not Kindle) or mobile phone.
- E-audiobooks (sometimes known as talking books) are electronic spoken word versions of printed books in MP3 or OCDF format. You can listen to them on computer, MP3 player or compatible mobile device, including phones.
Audiobooks are also available on CD from our libraries.