Public Rights of Way Section 31(6) and Commons Section 15A(1) deposits


Please note, due to the current situation in the UK some of our casework has been put on hold. If you have any questions please contact the Definitive Map Team.

1. Protecting land against future claims

A path used by the public for 20 years or more can become a public right of way. An application can then be made for it to be recorded on the Definitive Map and Statement. To help prevent this, landowners can register a deposit on their land.

Similarly, land used by the public for recreation for more than 20 years can become a town or village green. Landowners can register a deposit to prevent a future claim.

Print entire guide