Claiming or changing a public right of way


Please note, due to the current situation in the UK some of our casework has been put on hold. If you have any questions please contact the Definitive Map Team.

2. Claiming a new public right of way

If a path has been used by the public for 20 years or more, it may be possible to claim it as a public right of way by making an application for a Definitive Map Modification Order (DMMO).

Please contact the Definitive Map Team if you wish to find out about this.

Useful information to refer to when making a DMMO:

1. Claim Guidance for Applicants

2. Submission Notes and Checklist

3. DMMO Process Flowchart

Documents required to submit a DMMO application:

4a. Application form and accompanying forms

4b. Application form and accompanying forms

5. User Evidence Statement Form

6. Submission Checklist

Information and documents for Landowners/Occupiers:

7. Claim Guidance for Landowners

8. Landowner Occupier Statement Form

Print entire guide