Using the Planning Register

The Planning Register is a searchable database that contains information related to planning applications and enforcement concerning:

  • waste (such as landfill sites or waste water treatment works)
  • minerals (such as chalk, gravel and sand extraction or mining)
  • our own development (such as schools, libraries or roads).

For all other types of development, contact your local district or borough council.

Search using the text fields

Search for any planned developments near where you live by:

  • Reference number – if you don’t know the reference number, you may be able to note it down from public notices posted near the site.
  • Location – enter your postcode or the name of your town or village.
  • Date – narrow the time period searched by entering the dates you want to search between.

Results are listed in date order for a radius of 2km around the location you choose. If you don’t know the address or reference number, choose ‘search using an interactive map’.

Search using the map view

Select whether you want the map to show planning applications or enforcement cases. The default setting is planning applications.

Re-centre the map by clicking on the arrows around the outside edge.

Zooming the map
Click on the map, or use the zoom buttons to zoom in or out.

If the map stops zooming or the zoom buttons are greyed out, you are at maximum or minimum magnification. If there are no sites in the area of the map you are clicking on, you may see an error message saying ‘There are no sites in the requested area’.

Clicking inside a boundary on a map view will automatically zoom the map to the highest magnification possible whilst keeping the whole boundary within that window. You can then keep clicking to zoom in further.

Understanding the search results

When you search by postcode or location, the system produces results based on a 2km wide square, with your location at the centre.

Applications are then listed in date order and can go back over 30 years.

Some sites are large and complex. This can result in a long list of different applications or multiple site areas on a map.

For help with interpreting these results contact the Planning Policy and Development Management Team.

Saving your searches

Each page you see when using this system, including lists of search results, or particular areas on a map, generates a unique web address in the ‘Address’ bar of your web browser.

This means that you can bookmark an address and return to the results at a future date to check for updates.

You can also bookmark the web page of individual planning applications.

How do I ‘clear' my selections on the text search page?

You can clear your previous search terms by clicking the ‘Back to search’ link from a list of results or a map view.

If you use your browser’s Back button however, the system leaves your previous entries to the Search page (such as your postcode) displayed in the relevant boxes.

Commenting on an application

During a consultation period, a link that says ‘Comment on this application’ will be available on a planning application page. If there is no link, the consultation period is closed and we are no longer accepting comments.

See commenting on a planning application.

Finding out about planning controls or conditions

You can search the Planning Register to see if permission has been granted for a particular site and if there are conditions that state what activities are allowed. Permission may have been granted some time ago for activities which have only now begun.

If you are not sure whether an activity is authorised, you can contact the Planning Policy and Development Management Team. If you think a planning control has been breached you can use our form to report it. Any report you make will be completely confidential. Further information about planning enforcement is available here.

Problems such as fly tipping or abandoned vehicles can’t be reported using this system. These may be the responsibility of your local borough or district council – see how to report a problem.

Contact us

If you have any questions related to the Planning Register, or need some help, contact the Planning Policy and Development Management Team.