Planning applications and enforcement


Please note that charges for pre-application advice on planning applications came into effect on the 1st July 2017. Please see the Pre-application advice section on Making a planning application for further information.

Most development must have planning permission before new building starts or before a new use of land or building occurs. We only deal with planning applications in East Sussex, outside of the South Downs National Park, for:

  • waste (such as landfill sites or waste water treatment works)
  • minerals (such as chalk, gravel and sand extraction or mining)
  • our own development (such as schools or roads).

For all other types of development or development within the South Downs National Park, contact your local district or borough council or the South Downs National Park Authority:

If you’re not sure which district or borough council to contact, find out:

Search planning applications

Search our Planning Register for details of minerals and waste, or council planning applications and enforcement notices. Submit comments about applications to us, online.

Making a planning application

All the information and documents you need to make a planning application for a waste or minerals development.

Commenting on a planning application

How you can find out more about a planning application and send us your comments.

Development control

Find out about planning development control

Planning constraints

Information about special considerations or designations that may decide whether a piece of land can be developed.

Monitoring of sites

How we monitor whether conditions are being met on sites that have planning permission.

Planning enforcement

About our enforcement powers, the tools we use to deal with breaches of planning control and how to report a potential breach.