1. Home
  2. Environment
  3. Flooding
  4. Temporary suspension on investigations of land drainage issues

Temporary suspension on investigations of land drainage issues

Unfortunately, due to a current lack of resource faced by the Flood Risk Management Team, we have no other option but to suspend investigations on all land drainage issues for the time being. This is not a decision that we have taken lightly, and we will endeavour to get this part of our service up and running again as soon as we have successfully recruited to current vacancies. Please continue to report any flooding incidents to us so we can add them to our Flood Incidents Database. We will also keep your issue on file and be in contact when resource allows to see if the problem persists and carry out an investigation if required.

Please be aware that if you have experienced internal flooding to your property, we will aim to undertake an investigation as soon as possible.

In the meantime, the guidance below provides some information on who to contact depending on the type of flooding you experience or where the water that is causing the flood is coming from.

If the water is coming off the highway or related to a blocked drain or culvert in the highway, please contact the website of East Sussex Highways.

If the flooding is due to a watercourse classified as a Main River or from the Coast, please contact the Environment Agency - GOV.UK. Further information on whether a watercourse is classified as a main river can be found on the Environment Agency, Main River Map, website.

If the flooding is occurring due to blocked ditches classified as an ordinary watercourse then it is down to the riparian owner to maintain the ditch and ensure the free movement of water. More information can be found on our website, riparian ownership.

If that information is insufficient and there is an ongoing dispute over drainage responsibilities between landowners please refer to the First-tier Tribunal (Property Chamber) - GOV.UK which provides an adjudication service (this is a chargeable service).

If you have encountered flooding from the public surface water, combined or foul sewer please contact Southern Water.

We will continue to process ordinary watercourse consent applications and we aim to respond to any enquiries within 10 days and full applications within 60 days. However, please be aware that there may be some delay. When sending over your application, please ensure that you send all the information required, which will enable us able to process your application as efficiently as possible.

Contact us

Please don’t hesitate to contact the Flood Risk Management Team