Cesspits and septic tanks

Who to contact if you have concerns about cesspits (also called cesspools) and septic tanks in your neighbourhood.

If you have a septic tank and want to enquire about being connected instead to mains drainage, please contact Southern Water.

Who deals with this problem?

If you have a septic tank or cesspit than needs emptying you must call a private contractor.

District and borough councils will serve notice on individuals if their tank needs emptying. More information is available from the district and borough council websites: