University-led training

Universities and colleges offer teacher training courses for both graduates and undergraduates. If you want your teacher training to be based at a university, this is the option for you.

If you are already a graduate you can complete your teacher training in 1 year. If you are an undergraduate the amount of time it will take will depend on your existing qualifications.

Find out more:

I studied for a year at Sussex University

For information on other universities and how to apply visit the UCAS website.

Other university courses

  • Troops to Teachers – A non-graduate national 2-year programme targeted at armed service leavers who have the potential to become outstanding teachers. It is available at the University of Brighton.
  • Researchers in Schools (RIS) – A teacher training and professional development programme exclusive to researchers who have completed a doctorate.

Marica’s story

Marica, a medical physicist, retrained at Sussex University to become a science and maths teacher. Read more about Marica’s story.

“The training was amazing and it feels like this is exactly what I’m supposed to do.”