Become a teacher

Become a teacher

To teach in a UK state school, you need Qualified Teacher Status (QTS). You gain QTS by completing Initial Teacher Training (ITT) at a university, school, or college in the UK.

Choose from school-led or university-led training depending on your experience and preference for the type of training you’re interested in.

School-led training is more practice based and tends to be in one main setting. It suits people who already have some experience in schools.

School-led training

University-led training

Teacher training events

Bursaries and funding

“I’ve always wanted to teach. Since volunteering I’ve learnt a lot more about working with young people.”