What to do if your child is ill


Attending school – what parents and carers need to know about early years providers, schools and colleges as COVID-19 becomes a virus that we learn to live with – GOV.UK

As a result of the coronavirus, the situation is fast moving and changing daily.

Please follow the latest NHS advice

See the UNICEF guide for parents on talking to your child about coronavirus.


Normally your child should attend school if they only have a minor illness. The school will send them home if they think it is necessary.

Use this NHS guide to illnesses to see what illnesses may require you to keep you child away from school under normal circumstances.

If you keep your child off school, the school may ask for medical evidence.

If your child has a long term illness, the school can offer a range of support. They may also arrange Teaching for sick children.