Marriage venue licencing


All death registrations are now via telephone appointment.

Book your appointment online to register a death

Order birth, marriage, civil partnership and death certificates online

All other services, including birth registrations are currently suspended.

Visit Ceremonies in East Sussex for the latest information about weddings and civil partnerships.

These measures are subject to continuous review and will be updated as necessary in accordance with Government guidelines.

Can my venue be licenced?

If you manage or own a venue, you can apply for a licence to hold marriage and civil partnership ceremonies.

Civil marriages and civil partnerships must take place in a permanent structure that is open to the public and non-religious in nature. This may include:

  • Restaurants and public houses
  • Hotels
  • Museums and galleries
  • Theatres and cinemas
  • Stately homes and castles
  • Tourist attractions

Many couples are looking for a wedding venue with a difference, your venue could be just the thing they’re after. If you’re not sure, email

Print entire guide