European Settlement Scheme (EuSS)

Supporting European Union, European Economic Area and Swiss citizens complete the ID verification part of their application for Settled or Pre-Settled status.

Information applying for pre-settled or settled status can be found on the website

This is a drop in service available at our Eastbourne, Hastings and Lewes Offices 9am to 4pm, and at our Crowborough Office 9am to 12.30pm and 1.30pm to 4pm.

How much does it cost?

We offer EuSS for free to those who are resident or employed in East Sussex* (Proof must be supplied at the time of service).

EuSS is £14 for applicants who do not live or work in East Sussex*.

*East Sussex refers to the area served by East Sussex County Council and excludes Brighton & Hove.

E Passport symbol
E Passport symbol

What happens?

We provide a device for you to scan your identity document and your biometrics to verify your identity for your application.

To use this service, your passport or ID card MUST show the ‘E Passport’ symbol (pictured).

You will then be able to make an application for pre-settled or settled status.
We will not need to keep your ID document and in most cases you should not be asked to send your passport anywhere else during your application for pre-settled or settled status.

We do not offer advice regarding your application.

You MUST bring

  • Your current, valid biometric European Union, European Economic Area or Swiss passport


  • Valid biometric Residence Permit (BRP) for family members of a European Union, European Economic Area or Swiss citizen


  • A mobile phone that can receive text messages or a device that can receive email (tablet with sim card or similar)
  • Proof of residence/employment in East Sussex or £14 fee

Only the ID documents listed above can be checked using the EuSS device, if you do not have one of these ID documents then visit the EU Settlement Scheme website for your options.

Call us on 0345 60 80 198 or email for help.

Help and advice

Further help and advice regarding your right to settle in the UK and your settled status application can be accessed at Citizens Advice

Assisted Digital

You can get Assisted Digital support to use the EU Settlement Scheme online application form if you’re in the UK and do not have the appropriate access, skills or confidence to use EuSS.

Assisted Digital