Town and village greens

4. Claiming a new town or village green

The Commons Act 2006 allows for applications to be made to register land as a new village green. You will need to show that the land in question has been used:

  • For a period of at least 20 years
  • For the purposes of lawful sports and pastimes
  • ‘As of right’ (for example, without force, secrecy or permission)
  • By the inhabitants of a locality, or a neighbourhood within a locality.

Alternatively, a landowner may voluntarily register land as a new village green, in which case, it is not necessary to demonstrate a set period of use.

If the land you wish to register as a village green is close to the county border or to Brighton & Hove, other local authorities may be responsible for dealing with your application. To check which local authority is responsible, please contact the Rights of Way team.

Print entire guide