Street parties and fetes

Street parties and fetes are a long-held British tradition that we want to encourage and make easier to hold.

Organising a small street party or fete is often quite simple and you don’t always need a licence or insurance, as long as your event is organised by and for residents and neighbours only.

How to arrange a road closure

Please contact your local district or borough council – they can arrange a temporary road closure and advise what else you need to do:

Planning your street party

You can find lots of information and tips about how to get started with planning a street party from these websites:

Decorating the street

If you’re planning to attach bunting and other decorations to street lights, please make sure:

  • they are high enough not to cause an obstruction
  • you don’t drill any holes or use nails or glue
  • your decorations don’t cross or overhang the road.

For banners, decorative lighting or bunting that hang over the highway, you will need to apply for a licence from East Sussex Highways.

Contact East Sussex Highways if you would like to borrow traffic cones, signs or barriers for an event.

If in doubt, don’t hesitate to get in touch: