Support for low-income residents who must self-isolate


National lockdown: Stay at Home rules now apply in East Sussex.

We will update our service pages when government release the full details.

COVID-19: guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection

As of Monday 12 October people who are on low incomes and are required to self-isolate can apply for £500 Test and Trace Support payment. Those who started to self-isolate from 28 September can apply to receive backdated payments.

People looking to apply for the payment will have to meet all 4 of these criteria:

  • You are receiving a benefit such as Universal Credit, Working Tax Credit, income-based Employment and Support Allowance, income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance, Income Support, Housing Benefit and/or Pension Credit.
  • You have a job or are self-employed.
  • You are unable to work from home and will lose income as a result.
  • You have been told to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace – both because you have tested positive or someone you are in close contact with has.

The payment should not affect any benefits you are receiving, or statutory sick pay.

How do I apply for the payment?

The payment will be made in one lump sum and will be subject to Income Tax.

In order to apply residents will need to provide the following evidence:

  • A notification from NHS Test and Trace asking you to self-isolate (including your unique ID number)
  • A bank statement
  • Proof of employment, or if you are self-employed, self-employment assessment returns, trading income and proof that you cannot work from home and will lose income as a result.

For more details and to apply, visit your district or borough council’s website.