Advice for people clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus


National lockdown: Stay at Home rules now apply in East Sussex.

We will update our service pages when government release the full details.

COVID-19: guidance for households with possible coronavirus infection

People who are clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus (CEV) are currently being advised to follow the shielding guidance. You should not attend work, school, college or university, and limit the time you spend outside the home. You should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential.

See also: Easy read COVID-19 guides – including advice for people clinically extremely vulnerable to coronavirus in East Sussex. These easy read guides help people with learning disabilities to understand the support available and the latest government COVID-19 rules.

What does clinically extremely vulnerable mean?

Read the definition of clinically extremely vulnerable on GOV.UK.

If you’re clinically extremely vulnerable you should have received a letter confirming this or been told directly by your GP or hospital clinician.

Getting help and advice

If you need help and support:

  • In the first instance, you should ask trusted family, friends or neighbours to collect or organise shopping for food and essentials, and medicine or prescription collection on your behalf.
  • You can still get prescriptions, essential items and food you buy delivered by NHS Volunteer Responders (0808 196 3646) if you need to. They may also be able to help with transport to medical appointments and set up regular contact over the phone with a friendly voice if you’re lonely or isolated.
  • You can make a new registration on GOV.UK for priority supermarket delivery slots and to ask for contact about local support.
  • If you don’t have anyone you can ask for help, you can contact Health and Social Care Connect (HSCC) on 0345 60 80 191 (open 8am to 8pm 7 days a week including bank holidays) or email Health and Social Care Connect.
  • For information on other community support available during the pandemic, including the five Community Hubs in East Sussex, visit the Community support web page.

You can also contact HSCC to ask for this information in any other language or in an accessible format, or use Google Translate.


  • If you have already registered for a priority supermarket delivery slot, you’ll keep it.
  • Clinically extremely vulnerable people are able to make a new registration for priority deliveries.
  • The national government is not providing national food parcels.
  • Read local advice on shopping and food delivery, including advice on supermarket deliveries, meals delivery services, local volunteer support and affording food.
  • You can contact Health and Social Care Connect if you need help to access food.


  • You should consider asking family and friends to collect medicines for you or requesting help from the NHS Volunteer Responders or call them on 0808 196 3646.
  • It is also worth contacting your pharmacy to see if they offer a delivery service – the Find a Pharmacy Service lists all pharmacies nearby.
  • If you cannot get help from a family member or volunteer, you will be eligible for free medicines delivery. You should inform your pharmacy that you are clinically extremely vulnerable and need your medicines delivered. Use the Find a Pharmacy Service to find one near you.
  • If you still need help to pick up all of your medicines, please contact Health and Social Care Connect.

Health and wellbeing

  • The NHS is open and you should continue to access all the NHS services that you need. It is safer for you to use the NHS than to try to manage alone. You can also access a range of NHS services from home or download the NHS App on your smartphones or tablet.
  • The Government is advising CEV people to make sure their GP has their most up-to-date contact details, including their home address and, if possible, a personal email address, so that you can be contacted quickly in the event that guidance changes in the future.
  • You should continue to receive support from social care if you require it.
  • Visit our coronavirus health and wellbeing pages for advice on looking after your mental health, staying active and eating well.