Financial help if you are sick or disabled

1. Benefits

If you or your child is disabled or has a long-term illness there is a range of disability-related financial support which may help.

You may be entitled to benefits such as Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you cannot work because of illness or disability, or Personal Independence Payment (PIP) for adults and Disability Living Allowance (DLA) for children to help with the added costs of living with a disability.

Universal Credit has started to replace some income-related benefits in some parts of the county.

2. Extra child tax credits

You get extra child tax credit payments if you have a child with a disability who gets Disability Living Allowance (DLA), Personal Independence Payment (PIP) or who is registered blind.

3. Other help

There are payments and concessions such as vehicle and council tax reductions, Disabled Facilities Grant and Income Tax Disabled Premiums which can help with transport, housing or if you are on a low income.

Adults and children age 5 and over with a qualifying disability are also eligible for free bus travel with a disabled person’s bus pass.

4. Carer's support

If you are a carer you may be able to get help through the Carers Allowance and Carers Credit (a National Insurance credit that helps with any gaps in your National Insurance record).

5. Disability benefits advice

You can get more advice on adult disability benefits from the Citizen’s Advice Bureau.

Families with disabled children can call the Contact a Family helpline or see online benefits and tax credits advice.