Teenagers with paid work

GOV.UK: child employment guidance

Children aged 13 and over can work on weekends, holidays or outside of school hours. There are legal restrictions on hours and types of work they can do. This includes children working in family businesses.

Children must not work:

  • more than 12 hours a week in term time
  • continually for more than 4 hours without 1 hour’s rest
  • before 7am or after 7pm

See the guide to child employment below for types of work children can and can’t do.

Guide to child employment

If you are an employer you need a work permit

To employ a child under 16 you must notify the child employment officer within 4 days of the child starting work.
Complete the ESCC form below. The parent or carer must also sign the form.

ESCC notification by employer form

The child employment officer will reply within 10 working days of receiving the form. They will confirm whether the child is legally able to work. If so, they will receive a work permit.

Children who act, sing, model or take part in paid/professional sport

A child performance licence is needed if a child spends significant amounts of time in performances such as filming, theatre, sport or modelling.

Who to contact at East Sussex County Council


Phone: 01273 481 967

Child Employment Team
St Marks House
14 Upperton Road
East Sussex
BN21 1EP