Asking for an Education, Health and Care (EHC) Assessment

1. Asking for an EHC assessment

The local authority should do an education, health and care (EHC) needs assessment if it looks like an EHC plan may be necessary.

You can ask for an EHC needs assessment if you are:

  • the parent of a child under 16
  • a young person of 16 or over, or their parent if the young person is not able to ask
  • an early years setting, school, college or training provider

If you have a statement of special educational needs, you do not need to ask for an EHC needs assessment. You will be changing from a statement to an EHC plan between now and April 2018.

If you are thinking about asking for an EHC needs assessment, you should meet with the nursery, school or college and other services who are involved. It is important to understand:

  • the SEN support that should be available without an EHC plan
  • the way the local authority makes its decisions – detailed in this extract from SEND Code of Practice 2015

If we decide that your child needs an EHC plan the process will be completed within 20 weeks of the request for an EHC needs assessment. Please read the Parent Carer Guide to the 20 Week Process


To ask for an EHC needs assessment email or call 01273 336740.

For impartial advice and support contact the Amaze SENDIASS.

Print entire guide