Asking for a school or college

If a child or young person has special educational needs or a disability and does not have a statement or Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan,

  • you can apply for any state funded mainstream school or college. You cannot apply for a special school or college. Your application should be considered in the same way as someone who does not have special educational needs.

If a child or young person does have a statement or an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan

  • the parent (or the young person if they are 16 or over) can ask for any type of education provision including mainstream or special, state funded or independent. This will normally be at an annual review or when changing from a statement to an EHC plan.
  • We will do our best to name the school or college you want in the statement or EHC plan, but this is not always possible. You will have a right of appeal if you do not agree with our decision.

  • Disabled access: you can use the links for primary and secondary schools to find out which schools are wheelchair accessible and/or have care suites – primary schools secondary schools


It is important that you understand the transport policy before applying for a school or college, as you may not be eligible for help

Advice and support

Contact Amaze SENDIASS

Find a school or college

Use the links below to search for schools and colleges. Look for ‘SEN Information Reports’ on school websites and for ‘SEN and disability information’ or ‘additional learning support’ on college websites.

Mainstream schools:

Find a school in East Sussex

Colleges and training providers:

Special schools:

Go to ‘Find a school in East Sussex’ above, and select ‘view a list of schools’. Or see our East Sussex special schools booklet.

Schools and colleges in other counties:

Independent special schools and colleges: