Help in schools and colleges

High quality teaching

All children and young people in our schools and colleges should have high quality teaching. This may include teaching adapted to their individual needs. Or they may have short term targeted support to develop a skill or help them catch up.

Special Educational Needs (SEN)

A small number of children need more or different support to what is available through high quality teaching. They may have special educational needs (SEN). Schools should identify children with SEN early on and provide SEN support so that they make good progress. The SEND Prospectus explains SEN support in East Sussex nurseries, schools and colleges.

If you think your child has SEN, talk to their teacher or the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at their school or college.

Each school publishes an SEN information report on their website, which shows how they meet the needs of children with SEN.

SEN support plans

All children with SEN should have a written plan. It may be called a Provision Map, an Additional Needs Plan or an SEN Support Plan. All plans should follow a cycle of assess, plan, do, review. The school or college should review the plan at least three times a year with you and your child.


This may include:

  • looking at progress,
  • your child’s achievements or difficulties,
  • making observations,
  • assessments, and
  • your views and your child’s views.


This should focus on the outcomes you are all aiming for and the support your child needs to make good progress. Support may include different teaching, equipment and help with exams.

The school or college must use their best endeavours to arrange the SEN support they need. They must make full use of their SEN funding. They can also get support and training from Inclusion and Special Educational Needs and Disability Services (ISEND) or health services.

The SEN Matrix shows what support the County Council expects schools to provide to children with different needs.


The class teacher or subject teacher is responsible for delivering the plan, with support from the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO).


Most children will make good progress and will no longer need SEN support. Some children will continue on SEN support for a longer time. Very few children, who do not make progress with good SEN Support, may need an Education, Health and Care Plan.

Medical needs and personal care

Pupils at school and college with physical or mental health conditions should be supported so that they have full access to education.

The School Health Service or the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) can help make a support plan.

Schools should have a policy on supporting children with medical needs, and follow government guidance.

Children who are not well enough to attend school may get support from Teaching and Learning Provision.

School trips

If your child is disabled, their school should make reasonable adjustments to make sure any trips are suitable. This might include additional staff or adapting the activities. See National guidance for schools on inclusion on school trips.

Advice and support

For independent advice, contact Amaze.

SEND code of Practice- statutory guidance- GOV.UK