Find and apply for a school or college


Schools, nurseries and childminders are reopening. See Schools, children and families’ services.

If your child has special educational needs or a disability and does not have an Education, Health and Care (EHC) plan, you can apply for any mainstream school or college, but not a special school or college. Your application should be considered in the same way as for any other child.

If your child does have an EHC plan, you (or the young person if they’re 16 or over) can ask for any type of school at the annual review, including:

Find a school in East Sussex

Disabled access

If your child has physical needs which would need a school to:

  • be wheelchair accessible,
  • have specialist adaptations, or
  • have a disabled care suite

please talk to:

  • your ISEND Early Years Contact,
  • Occupational Therapist,
  • Assessment and Planning Officer or
  • the Admissions Team.


Find out if you qualify for free transport before applying for a school or college.

Advice and support

We’ll try to name the school or college you want in the EHC plan, but it’s not always possible.

If you don’t agree with us, you can consider mediation and appeal.

For independent advice contact Amaze.