Extra help in schools and colleges

All children and young people should have high quality teaching, adjusted to meet their individual needs. Some children need more than this and may have special educational needs (SEN). Schools should identify children with SEN early on and should provide SEN support.

If you think your child has SEN, talk to their teacher or the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at their school or college.

SEN support plans

All children with SEN should have a written plan. It may be called a provision map or an Additional Needs plan.

All SEN support plans should follow this cycle:

  1. assess your child’s needs
  2. plan support for them, focusing on the outcomes you are aiming for
  3. do
  4. review at least three times a year with you and your child

Support may include different teaching, equipment and help with exams .

Schools and colleges get SEN funding. They can also get support from Inclusion and Special Educational Needs and Disability Services (ISEND) or health services.

Each school should have an SEN Information Report on their website showing how they support children with SEN. Colleges also publish information. Schools and colleges should follow the SEND Code of Practice.

SEND prospectus

The SEND Prospectus gives more information about support in East Sussex nurseries, schools and colleges.

Medical needs and personal care

Pupils at school and college with physical or mental health conditions should be supported so that they have full access to education.

The School Health Service or the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (CAMHS) can help make a support plan.

Schools should have a policy on supporting children with medical needs, and follow government guidance.

Children who are not well enough to attend school may get support from Teaching and Learning Provision.

School trips

If your child is disabled, their school should make reasonable adjustments to make sure any trips are suitable. This might include additional staff or adapting the activities. See National guidance for schools on inclusion on school trips.

Advice and support

For independent advice, contact Amaze.