What to expect from schools and colleges

All children should have:

  • access to high quality education
  • adjustments for their individual needs, including for school trips

If a child isn’t making progress with this support, they may have special educational needs (SEN). If you think your child has SEN, talk to their teacher or the Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at their school or college.

We expect schools and colleges to follow the:

SEN support plans

All children with SEN must have a written plan that follows this cycle:

  1. assess your child’s needs
  2. plan support for them, focusing on outcomes
  3. do
  4. review at least three times a year

You and your child should be involved in the plan and review process. The school or college must use their ‘best endeavours’ to arrange the support your child needs.

The school or college may involve Inclusion and Special Educational Needs and Disability Services (ISEND) or health services.

Medical needs

Pupils at school and college with medical conditions have the same rights to a school place as other children. They shouldn’t be prevented from taking a place in a school because of a lack of arrangements. Their needs may include mental health difficulties as well as physical conditions.

Schools should have a policy on supporting children with medical needs, and follow government guidance.

Health care plans

You can ask for a health care plan, but it’s not always necessary. The School Health Service or the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service might be able to help.

If a child can’t attend school for more than 15 days or has lots of medical absence, they might get support for children too sick for school.

School trips

If your child is disabled, their school should make reasonable adjustments to make sure any school trips are suitable. This might include additional staff or adapting the activities.

Advice and support

For independent advice, contact Amaze.