Education, health and care needs assessments

1. Asking for an assessment

If you are concerned that your child’s Special Educational Needs (SEN) are not being met through SEN support then the first step would be to discuss your concerns with your child’s school or setting.

All schools have a special educational needs co-ordinator (SENCO) who can discuss your concerns with you, including whether or not a request for an assessment for an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP) is needed.

Nationally, less than 3% of children and young people aged 0 to 25 have an EHCP. It is anticipated that through the work done by schools with support from relevant professionals only children and young people with the most complex needs will require an EHCP. Most children with SEN can be supported by their local nursery, school or college through SEN support, without an EHCP.

SEN support can take many forms. This could include:
• a special learning programme for your child
• extra help from a teacher or a learning support assistant
• working with your child in a small group

If you feel that your child is not making progress despite high quality SEN support you or your nursery, school or college can ask for an Education, Health and Care needs assessment.

We’ll do an assessment if

  • your child has special educational needs and
  • it may be necessary for the local authority to make provision for your child within an Education Health and Care Plan.

Who can ask for an assessment?

  • the parent of a child under 16
  • a young person 16 to 25 (or their parent on their behalf)
  • an early years setting, school, college or training provider

How to ask

Email or call 01273 336740.

We’ll let you know within 6 weeks if we’ll do an EHC needs assessment.

Advice and support

See the Guide to EHC needs assessment process

For independent advice contact Amaze SENDIASS.

Print entire guide