Learning to read and write is difficult and all children develop at different rates. Some children go to school ready to learn. Others need lots of support and practice.

Some children have ongoing difficulty with literacy. They may have a ‘specific learning difficulty’ such as dyslexia, dyspraxia or dysgraphia. Others have difficulties that don’t fit neatly into a diagnosis.

What you can do

If you notice your child is struggling with reading and writing, you can get advice and support from:

  • your child’s teacher, Special Education Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) or Inclusion Manager
  • The Children’s Literacy Charity – support with your child’s literacy development

What schools and colleges can do

Schools can adjust work or use a programme such as Bullseye, Blitz or Springboard Maths.

Some schools have a specialist teacher or teaching assistant for dyslexia.

If your child needs extra support the school may refer them to:

Our schools have the Dyslexia handbook for teachers to guide them.

Find out more about what to expect from your child’s school.