Social interaction is the way people talk and communicate with each other. Some children with social difficulties have autism.

Autism is a developmental disability that affects communication. It also affects how children make sense of the world. Autistic children share certain needs but the condition affects each child differently.

If you think your child may have autism

You can get advice and support from:

  • your child’s health visitor, teacher or doctor. They may refer you to a paediatrician (if they are under 11) or the Child and Adolescent Mental Health Service (if they are 11 to 18).
  • Autism Sussex
  • National Autistic Society

Support for families

What nurseries, schools and colleges can do

Some schools and colleges have a specialist teacher or teaching assistant for autism. If your child needs extra support, the school may refer them to:

Find out more

What to expect from nurseries
What to expect from schools and colleges