Help in the early years

Nurseries and childminders providing funded 15 or 30 hours of education a week should give children high quality teaching to meet their individual needs.

Some children need more than this and may have special educational needs (SEN). Nurseries and childminders should identify children with SEN early and provide SEN support.

If you think your child has SEN, talk to their key person or Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) at their nursery, or their childminder.

SEN support plans

All children with SEN should have a written plan. It may be called a provision map or a Setting Based Support Plan.

All SEN support plans should follow this cycle:

  1. assess your child’s needs
  2. plan support for them, focusing on outcomes you are aiming for
  3. do
  4. review at least three times a year with you and your child.

Support may include different teaching, equipment or communication support, like sign language, symbols or visual resources.

The nursery or childminder can get support from the ISEND Early Years Support Service or the Children’s Integrated Therapy Service.

Nurseries and childminders can apply for additional SEN funding for some children.

More information

SEN and Disability in the Early Years Toolkit- Council for Disabled Children

The East Sussex SEND Prospectus- shows the support for children with SEN in East Sussex.