Parent carer assessment

Parent carers of disabled children up to 18 can apply for an assessment which looks at:

  • how caring affects your life, including your health and wellbeing
  • difficulties you’re experiencing
  • what you would like to change about your caring role.

After an assessment we’ll give you information about other services and ideas to support you in your caring role.

Can I apply?

You can have a parent carer assessment if you:

  • care for a disabled child; and
  • have parental responsibility for the child


  • the child is on level 3 of 4 of the Continuum of Need; or
  • you also care for at least one other person, like an elderly parent

How to apply

Parent carers apply using the same form as carer’s looking after adults.

Download and complete the form and send it to the address.

Apply for a carers assessment

For independent advice, contact Amaze SENDIASS

If you care for an adult, see Carers assessments for adults