Becoming a childminder

Weather Disruption

Please note there are currently disruption to Children's Centre and Youth Centre opening times due to the snow.

Please contact the centre being making the journey to ensure it is open.

3. The Ofsted application

After training you need to apply for your DBS check and ask your doctor to complete a health declaration about you, please see links below:

You are now ready to apply to Ofsted to register. It usually takes 12 weeks for Ofsted to register you.

All the information you need to apply is in the quick guide on how to register - GOV.UK.

For more detail, please read the childminders and childcare providers: register with Ofsted - GOV.UK.

After registration, you need to:

  • get public liability insurance (some include Professional Association membership and a pack of record-keeping documents).
  • get business-use car insurance, if you’ll use your car for childminding.
  • register your business with HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC). Create your online account within 3 months.
  • check whether you need data protection registration - GOV.UK.
  • up-date your record with the County Council’s Customer Relations Team when they contact you. Advertise with them for free.
  • report any accidents, incidents or changes to your details to Ofsted.
  • complete ‘Designated Safeguarding Lead’ training within six months. Book through the East Sussex Learning Portal.
  • Contact if you are considering providing funded childcare places. You will need to complete an application form before you can provide funded places

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.