Becoming a childminder

Weather Disruption

Please note there are currently disruption to Children's Centre and Youth Centre opening times due to the snow.

Please contact the centre being making the journey to ensure it is open.

1. Childminding – is it for me?

You enjoy caring for children and have the patience, energy and enthusiasm to work in childcare.

By law, childminders must register with Ofsted or an Ofsted registered Childminding Agency.

Childminders keep children healthy and safe, and help develop and build self-esteem. They do this following the Early Years Foundation Stage (EYFS), like nurseries, pre-schools and reception teachers.

Childminders are self-employed so you’ll need to be organised and professional. You’ll need good physical and mental health and a positive attitude. You’ll work with families of all backgrounds, listening to children and their parents and understanding their needs.

There is ongoing training for childminders to develop quality childcare.

Think about:

  • How do you and your family feel about using your home for childminding?
  • Is there a demand for childminders in your area?
  • Will childminding give you the income you need?
  • Is your property suitable?
  • Can you get written permission for running a business from your home? (from the owner/ mortgage lender and your local council’s planning department)
  • Are you able to complete the compulsory training?
  • Can you speak English well enough to support the children you care for?

To make sure you can register, please read the childminders and childcare providers: register with Ofsted -GOV.UK.

For more information, contact your local support officer. They help you before, during and after the registration process.

Was this page helpful?

Click or tap the rating which best represents your experience.