Eligible older people are entitled to free off-peak travel on local buses throughout England. You will need a bus pass, which must be shown to the bus driver on each journey.
On this page:
- whether you are eligible for an older person's bus pass
- what you need to apply
- the application form
When am I eligible for an older person's bus pass?
If you were born before 6 April 1950, you're eligible for an older person's bus pass from your 60th birthday.
If you were born after 5 April 1950, the age you become eligible for a bus pass is linked to changes in the State Pension age for women. This affects both men and women.
What do I need to apply?
You will need the provide the following to apply:
- proof of your age
- proof of your address
- a photograph of you.
Please provide original documents. We do not keep these, but may take copies for our records. See below for a full list of acceptable documents.
Proof of your age (one needed)
- birth certificate
- driving licence
- pension book
- medical card.
Proof of your address in East Sussex (one needed)
- a letter from Department of Work and Pensions (no more than 3 months old)
- a recent bank or credit card statement (no more than 3 months old)
- your current council tax bill
- a recent utility bill (no more than 3 months old).
If your main home is not in East Sussex, you should apply for a bus pass to the local authority where you usually live.
You will need one passport style/sized colour photograph of your head and shoulders with a single coloured background.
Head wear, unless specified for religious or medical purposes, and tinted glasses are not to be worn.
Where do I get an application form?
You can either:
- Print and send the Older person's application form (Adobe PDF)
- Call our information centre 0300 33 09 471 (local rate), and they will post a form to you
- Go into an East Sussex library (except those in Rotherfield, Northiam and Sedlescombe) find your local library. In addition to providing the form Library staff will be able to check your completed application and verify your proof documents so there will be no need to photocopy documents. They can send your application off for you.
If you have a question, please speak to our information centre: