Library members can download books from our 'Ebooks and audiobooks' website.
When you download a title, it is 'on loan' to you like an ordinary book and other library members cannot borrow it.
What are ebooks and audiobooks
- Ebooks are electronic versions of printed books in either Adobe PDF or Adobe EPUB format. You can read them on your computer, most ebook readers or mobile phone.
- Audiobooks (sometimes known as talking books) are spoken word versions of printed books in either MP3 or WMA format. You can listen to them on computer, MP3 player or compatible mobile device, including phones.
If you don't have the right machines to read these books, you can still get audiobooks on CD and cassette from our libraries.
Finding ebooks and audiobooks on our online library
All our electronic resources are listed on our online library as 'eBooks'. You can search for them two ways.
- Online library catalogue
Use keyword, author or title to search across the whole E-library, then look for titles marked 'eBooks'.
- Online library catalogue – advanced search
Under advanced search, in the box marked 'Collection' choose 'eBooks' to limit your search to ebooks and audiobooks only.
The titles in your search results contain a column marked 'Status' - use the link in this column to go straight to your chosen title on the Ebooks and audiobooks website.
Please note, you can't reserve titles on the online library. You need to go to the Ebooks and audiobooks website.
Using the Ebooks and audiobooks website
You can browse the website without signing in. To download books, you will need to sign in with your library card number and PIN.
When you find a title you want:
- if it is available immediately, use the 'Download' button and confirm you want the title.
- if it is not available yet, use the 'Place a hold' button to reserve the title.
Get more help
Visit the Ebooks and audiobooks website for more advice, including the devices you can use and the software you need:
For help downloading ebooks to a Kindle Fire or Kindle Fire HD, please visit the Overdrive website.